Are you looking for study visa consultants near you? Zee Overseas is here to help! Our team specializes in Canada study visa consultancy. Trust our expert study visa consultants for personalized guidance and support. Whether you’re searching for study visa consultants or Canada student visa consultants, we’ve got you covered. With Zee Overseas, you’ll receive reliable immigration services tailored to your study goals. Contact us today and let our study immigration consultants assist you in making your study abroad dreams a reality.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 18.49.34

Study Permit is one type of Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows student to come to Canada to Study a Specific program in a specific province. The student needs to pick right study program and benefit by getting post graduate work permit once they successfully complete the study and receives their completion certificate or Convocation Ceremony.

There are over half a million students coming to Canada for its Quality Education at an affordable fee with great exposure of the real world.  To apply for Study Permit in Canada, As a student you need to qualify and fulfill all the requirements of the visa program. 

Currently the requirement are based on the students Nationality. They can apply under SDS or NON SDS program.

SDS- is the student direct stream where the students from few nationality staying in the country of birth are eligible to apply under SDS which allows quick processing of visa, less documentation and has great success in terms of visa approval.

The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an expedited study permit processing program for those who are applying to study in Canada at a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI). 

The SDS is available to legal residents who also reside in

  • China
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Vietnam

Eligibility criteria

The applicant must include the following documents to be eligible for SDS processing:

  1. English or French Language Test Score Card:
    • IELTS score of 6 or more in each module.
    • a Test d’Evaluation de Français (TEF) score that is equivalent to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 for each ability: at least 310 for speaking, 249 for listening, 207 for reading and 310 for writing
  2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000 or more from any bank listed on the IRCC SDS web page and fulfill the criteria as set. We prefer Scotia Bank as the services are above average.
  3. Receipt of One year payment of tuition for the applicant’s first year of study as per the requirements
  4. Letter of Acceptance from Designated Learning Institute (DLI)
  5. Most Recent Marksheets, Transcripts, Passing Certificate
  6. Upfront medical examination from a panel physician approved by IRCC.

Non SDS: 

It is general application for Study Permit if you do not meet the requirement of SDS program. The processing time and documentation is much more and there is not set documents checklist. It means onus is on the students to submit maximum documents to present the visa officer the chance to review his application in details with complete information.

Processing Time: 

SDS– It is normally 20 days exlcuding transit time for documents. In some cases the timeline may exceed. 

Non SDS– It is normally 60 days or so to complete the process under this program.

Note: Officers may also request additional documents from the applicant at any time in order to make a decision on their application.

Officers must be satisfied that the applicant is bona fide and will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay

Family members of study permit applicants under the SDS

Family members of principal applicants who are applying under the SDS are eligible for concurrent processing if they apply at the same time as the primary applicant. For more information, see the definition of a family member in subsection R1(3).

Temporary residence applications (work permit, study permit and temporary resident visa applications) of the accompanying family members must be submitted online as part of a family grouping.

Prerequisite courses and bridging programs of study under SDS

Applicants who are taking a prerequisite course or bridging program of study at a DLI before starting their main program may be eligible to apply under the SDS, provided they meet all the program eligibility criteria.

Example: Applicants still need to submit an e-application from overseas. However, the prerequisite course or bridging program of study must be clearly identified as such in the applicant’s letter of acceptance, and the applicant’s main program of study must lead to a degree, diploma or certificate.

Your conditions as a study permit holder in Canada

Your study permit conditions

As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

As a study permit holder, you must:

  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

You must also follow the other specific conditions listed on your study permit, which could include:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • if you’re allowed to work as a student in Canada, including:
    • if you can work on or off campus, and
    • if you can complete a co-op work term or internship
  • if you need to report for medical procedures
  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada, and
  • the date you must stop studying.

If your school loses its DLI status after you get your study permit, you can keep studying at that school until your permit expires. If you want to extend your study permit, though, you’ll need to enroll at a school with DLI status.

Note: If you only study part-time, you may not be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) when you graduate. Make sure you know the eligibility criteria for a PGWP if you want to be able to apply for one.

Some study permit holders don’t need to prove they’re enrolled at a DLI or that they’re actively pursuing their studies to keep their study permit and status as a student. Find out if you meet one of these exceptions.

What counts as an authorized leave from your studies?

There are a few cases where you may be able to take a leave of up to a maximum of 150 days from your program of studies and still be considered to be actively pursuing your studies.

You don’t need to tell us if you’re taking an authorized leave, but you do need to provide proof that your leave is authorized and that it’s no longer than 150 days, if we ask for it.

It counts as authorized leave if:

  • your school has authorized a leave from your study program for:
    • medical reasons or pregnancy
    • family emergency
    • death or serious illness of a family member
    • any other type of leave your school authorizes
  • your school has closed permanently or because of a strike
  • you’ve changed schools
  • you or your school deferred your program start date
    • In this case, you must start your studies the next semester, even if it starts sooner than 150 days, and get an updated letter of acceptance.

You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada.

How to prove that you meet your conditions

We might ask you to prove you’re meeting your conditions:

  • as part of a random check
  • if we have reason to believe you’re not meeting them

We might ask you for:

  • official documents from your school confirming:
    • your enrolment status
    • the reason for and start date of any leave you’ve taken
    • the date you withdrew from a school or study program
    • the date you were suspended or dismissed from a school or study program
    • the date you stopped studying at the school
  • official transcripts
  • references from people who know you
  • proof from a medical professional confirming the medical need for a leave from your study program
  • document confirming your school has closed and no longer offers your study program
  • any other document an officer finds relevant

What happens if you don’t meet your study permit conditions

If we find you haven’t met your study permit conditions, we may ask you to leave Canada. You might also have to wait 6 months before you can apply for a new study permit (or for a visitor visa or work permit in Canada).

Not following your study permit conditions, or working or studying in a way we haven’t authorized, could also negatively affect any future applications you submit.

People who are exempt from study permit conditions

Study permit holders generally need to meet all of their study permit conditions to keep their study permit and status as a student. However, some study permit holders are exempt from certain conditions.

If any of the situations above describes your situation, you don’t need to prove you’re enrolled at a DLI or that you’re actively pursuing your studies. You do need to meet all your other conditions as a study permit holder in Canada. Make sure you know what these conditions are.

Book Your Consultation